Friday, September 7, 2007

Actor's Theatre: Fire on the Mountain


Once you reach a certain age, it's time to step back and evaluate. Who are you? What do you want? What are you good at? I don't think I've reached that age yet (even though, as of a week ago today, I'm officially older than Jesus ever was, and he had it figured out in spades), but I do know that one thing I'm really good at is procrastination. Many people, if not most, procrastinate the arduous chores, but I'm prone to procrastinate even the good stuff. Like getting a little culture in me.
Recently, I decided not to leave it to chance and signed myself up (using the handy dandy educator's discount) for a 7-play season ticket for Actor's Theatre of Loueyville. The theory goes: I'm much less likely to procrastinate an event that I've already paid for. Roommate got one two, so now I have a partner-in-culture.
Tuesday, we went to see Fire on the Mountain, a musical (bordering on folk-opera) about Appalachian coal miners. According to Actors' website:
Randal Myler and Dan Wheetman culled some thirty songs from the wealth of music
inspired and created by the Americans of Appalachia. Folk music, which includes
traditionals, blues and bluegrass, has been in renaissance in recent years
thanks to the success of movies like O Brother, Where Art Thou? and the release
of several compilations including “Kentucky Mountain Music.” Like most folk
music, every song in Fire on the Mountain tells three stories—the story in the
song, the story behind its creation and the story the performer wants to share.
Both inspiring and tragic, the musical featured outstanding vocal and instrumental performances, and reinvigorated my desire to find somewhere to audit course on the history of Kentucky. The Pamela Brown Auditorium is intimate enough that there isn't a bad seat in the house (that being said, we had terrific, front-row balcony, seats).
If you go on a week-day, don't bother splurging on garage parking ($5 or $4 if you have a season-ticket holder discount coupon). There's ample street parking nearby. We went to pre-theatre drinks at the Pub on 4th Street Live. Happy hour beers are still a bit pricey, but the battered mushroom and onion ring appetizer was excellent.
Coming up next month in the season series: The Underpants by Carl Sternheim, adapted by Steve Martin.

No comments: